This is a random story that I just wrote. I have no idea where it came from, it just kind of spilled out of me. I jut sat down and it came! It's not the best I have done but it's something! Enjoy! Comments appreciated!
Sitting in her coveralls, Mary Jane started arranging the freshly cut grass into a cute little birds nest on the ground. Humming softly to herself while doing so, she was oblivious to the happenings behind her. A man walked toward her, drawing her eyes away from her birds nest. Looking up, she saw that it was John Jesseps, her handsome next door neighbor.
“Doing alright Mary J?”
“I’m fine John. Just enjoying a relaxing Tennessee day in the middle of spring,” Mary spat. Although he was handsome, he was quite a nuisance. He seemed to show up at the most inopportune moments.
“Would you want to go to a movie with me later?”
Glancing up and peering into his eyes, she was taken aback by the sincerity in his question. Why would an attractive man like John as out plain little old me, she thought.
“What do you want John? If this is a prank so help me I’ll beat you with a stick.”
“Mary, I just want a date! That’s all! No funny business at all! Swear on my momma’s grave!” His mother was not dead. But his deep blue eyes looked trustworthy.
“Fine, I’ll be ready in two hours.”
“Swell! I will see you then.” Before departing, he made a ridiculous attempt at a bow. When he rose from his bow, he had gone cross-eyed and had his tongue hanging out of him mouth like a dying dog. Wiping the look off of his beautiful face, he pecked Mary’s cheek before finally turning and walking away.
When he was finally gone, Mary began marching slowly toward her home, giggling the entire way. She wasn’t giggling because she was smitten, of that she was sure. At least, that’s what she thought.
Standing in front of her mirror, Mary inspected her body meticulously. She admired her hips which weren’t as big as they actually seemed. She admired her stomach which was remarkably flat considering all of the fried foods that she ate. She admired her smile which was as white as the clouds in the sky.
Slipping into a royal blue sundress and sliding on some black pumps, she began the slow process of preparing for her ‘date’. Raiding her mom’s dresser for makeup took longer than she expected and left her with only forty five to apply the makeup and do her hair.
When she was finally completely ready, she stood in front of her mirror once more. She looked beautiful. The blue of the dress echoed in her eyes and complimented her skin tone. For once her makeup looked fine and her usually ill-tempered brown hair was behaving.
The knock finally came. She approached the door cautiously being sure to check her appearance one final time before opening it. He looked fabulous. His blond hair was slicked back and he traded his tank top and blue jeans for a dress shirt and slacks.
“Wow, Mary. You put them stars to shame. They might as well just leave the sky. You’re smile will light the night up.”
“Thanks John. You look great. Shall we leave?”
As the movie started, Mary snuggled down into the seat of John’s pick up truck.
“Mary, why do we fight all the time?”
“Don’t ask me, something to do I guess.”
“Would you mind if we stopped arguing and, I don’t know. Well, started to…”
“Start to wha-“
“Date!” The words escaped his mouth to his dismay. He didn’t want to let it out that soon.
Mary was taken aback. Lost for words, she just began to laugh.
“Hey Mar, come on! It was just an idea! I didn’t mean it that seriously! Ah, now I sound stupid, I’ll just shut up now.” His shyness appealed to Mary. She leaned over and hesitantly gave John a small peck on his lips. Before she could pull away, he had her locked in his embrace.
The rest of the movie was a blur. They paid no attention to anything but themselves. When the man knocked on the truck window to get the radio they rented back, they finally realized they had wasted $10 on a movie they didn’t even watch.
On the way home, Mary left her head on one of John’s broad shoulders and her hands in his lap. He held the wheel with one hand and held her with the other.
“Mary, I’ve wanted to say something to you since we were thirteen years old. Can I say it now,” He asked pensively.
“Anything, John.”
“I just wanted to say, I lo-“
His words were cut off by the sound of a horn honking and a blaze of light illuminating the road before them. A massive semi truck came crashing directly into to front of the truck. Mary’s scream flew through the sky like a pack of vultures circling a dead body.
When it was all over, John lifted his head a final time to look at his love lying in the road beside him. Her brown hair was glued to her face with the blood forming into a pool on the ground underneath her. Her once blue eyes were now a sullen expanse of blackness.
With his last breath, John forced three words out of his lungs.
“I love you.”
End
“Doing alright Mary J?”
“I’m fine John. Just enjoying a relaxing Tennessee day in the middle of spring,” Mary spat. Although he was handsome, he was quite a nuisance. He seemed to show up at the most inopportune moments.
“Would you want to go to a movie with me later?”
Glancing up and peering into his eyes, she was taken aback by the sincerity in his question. Why would an attractive man like John as out plain little old me, she thought.
“What do you want John? If this is a prank so help me I’ll beat you with a stick.”
“Mary, I just want a date! That’s all! No funny business at all! Swear on my momma’s grave!” His mother was not dead. But his deep blue eyes looked trustworthy.
“Fine, I’ll be ready in two hours.”
“Swell! I will see you then.” Before departing, he made a ridiculous attempt at a bow. When he rose from his bow, he had gone cross-eyed and had his tongue hanging out of him mouth like a dying dog. Wiping the look off of his beautiful face, he pecked Mary’s cheek before finally turning and walking away.
When he was finally gone, Mary began marching slowly toward her home, giggling the entire way. She wasn’t giggling because she was smitten, of that she was sure. At least, that’s what she thought.
Standing in front of her mirror, Mary inspected her body meticulously. She admired her hips which weren’t as big as they actually seemed. She admired her stomach which was remarkably flat considering all of the fried foods that she ate. She admired her smile which was as white as the clouds in the sky.
Slipping into a royal blue sundress and sliding on some black pumps, she began the slow process of preparing for her ‘date’. Raiding her mom’s dresser for makeup took longer than she expected and left her with only forty five to apply the makeup and do her hair.
When she was finally completely ready, she stood in front of her mirror once more. She looked beautiful. The blue of the dress echoed in her eyes and complimented her skin tone. For once her makeup looked fine and her usually ill-tempered brown hair was behaving.
The knock finally came. She approached the door cautiously being sure to check her appearance one final time before opening it. He looked fabulous. His blond hair was slicked back and he traded his tank top and blue jeans for a dress shirt and slacks.
“Wow, Mary. You put them stars to shame. They might as well just leave the sky. You’re smile will light the night up.”
“Thanks John. You look great. Shall we leave?”
As the movie started, Mary snuggled down into the seat of John’s pick up truck.
“Mary, why do we fight all the time?”
“Don’t ask me, something to do I guess.”
“Would you mind if we stopped arguing and, I don’t know. Well, started to…”
“Start to wha-“
“Date!” The words escaped his mouth to his dismay. He didn’t want to let it out that soon.
Mary was taken aback. Lost for words, she just began to laugh.
“Hey Mar, come on! It was just an idea! I didn’t mean it that seriously! Ah, now I sound stupid, I’ll just shut up now.” His shyness appealed to Mary. She leaned over and hesitantly gave John a small peck on his lips. Before she could pull away, he had her locked in his embrace.
The rest of the movie was a blur. They paid no attention to anything but themselves. When the man knocked on the truck window to get the radio they rented back, they finally realized they had wasted $10 on a movie they didn’t even watch.
On the way home, Mary left her head on one of John’s broad shoulders and her hands in his lap. He held the wheel with one hand and held her with the other.
“Mary, I’ve wanted to say something to you since we were thirteen years old. Can I say it now,” He asked pensively.
“Anything, John.”
“I just wanted to say, I lo-“
His words were cut off by the sound of a horn honking and a blaze of light illuminating the road before them. A massive semi truck came crashing directly into to front of the truck. Mary’s scream flew through the sky like a pack of vultures circling a dead body.
When it was all over, John lifted his head a final time to look at his love lying in the road beside him. Her brown hair was glued to her face with the blood forming into a pool on the ground underneath her. Her once blue eyes were now a sullen expanse of blackness.
With his last breath, John forced three words out of his lungs.
“I love you.”
End
(Wow, that's just a bit harsh...)

2 Comments:
At 8:25 PM,
Alina said…
AAH! That is such a depressing ending! *Cry* I like how you could write a short story in a limited amount of space without rushing it. Just one question, why are they in Tennesee, but talk with such a refined manner? Maybe it's just me.
At 10:47 PM,
Starchild28 said…
Wow you have some really awesome description in there! You deffinitely have a talent that I don't possess, I'm not good at confining a story to a small space and still making it great. And your sad or creepy stories are always WAY better than mine! I have to agree with speckofsand on the style of speech, it seemed like the tennesee slang was forced upon english characters.
Post a Comment
<< Home