London Chick's Parliament

Ello loves!! I started this blog for my 9th grade Honors English class. That means I am going to write about important issues and books! I hope you all get a little more intelligent by reading this blog! Have fun!

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Have you ever thought about how much imagination it takes to be able to write a good book? Currently I’m struggling to get my book started. I started a book last summer but I became preoccupied by other story ideas floating around in my head. Needless to say I read that book I started, it was crap. But the book I have been working on for about three months is pretty good if I do say so myself!
It’s my dream to go down in history as a great author that a lot of people loved. I have wanted to write since I was a little tiny girl and I think part of what got me into writing was reading other great work by some of my favorite authors! I loved their books because they take me away and suck me into the book so I forget where I really am. I want to give some of my favorite authors a spotlight and just tell a little about why I love them. I’ll even try to give a little piece of their writing in their spotlight!

SPOTLIGHT: Tom Perrotta
I saw a movie called Little Children a while back and fell in love with it! The storyline was excellent and the characters were well developed. During the credits, I saw that it was based on a book. That night I went out and bought the book. I read it and loved it even more than the movie!! The characters are so true to life and he writes exactly like a real person would talk. He knows his characters and he know how they would act. Good for him!
“The young mothers were telling each other how tired they were. This was one of their favorite topics, along with the eating, sleeping, and defecating habits of their offspring, the merits of certain local nursery schools, and the difficulty of sticking to an exercise routine. Smiling politely to mask a familiar feeling of desperation, Sarah reminded herself to think like an anthropologist. I’m a researcher studying the behavior of boring suburban women. I am not a boring suburban woman myself”- Tom Perrotta, Little Children.

SPOTLIGHT: Libba Bray
Libba Bray is an excellent writer! She captures my attention and her books keep me enthralled until the last page. If you like fantasy, adventure, suspense, and mystery, read her books! She takes time to get the main exciting story going but still goes back and makes the characters seem like real people you could meet and hang out with. I’ve only read her first book but the second book is in my room for me to read after Great Expectations.
“It was growing colder when I left the woods behind the Spence Academy for Young Ladies. I’d received a letter by falcon from the Rakshana. My presence was required immediately in London. I was to keep off the main roads and be certain I was not followed. For several miles, I traveled under cover of a Gypsy caravan. The rest of the way I made on foot, alone, shielded by trees or the broad cape of night.”- Libba Bray, Rebel Angels

SPOTLIGHT: Louise Rennison
If you are like me and you just feel like sometimes you just need to read something light and really funny AND you love all things British, pick up a book by Louise Rennison. Her books are a diary of a British teen named Georgia Nicolson. Her books are unrelentingly hilarious and just a slice of fun! Georgia seems like a girl I could meet and be her best friend and have a normal conversation with her! Same thing with Louise Rennison!
“Dad had Uncle Eddie round, so naturally they had to come to see what I was up to. If Uncle Eddie (who is bald as a coot) says to me one more time, “Should bald heads be buttered?” I may kill myself. He doesn’t seem to realize that I no longer wear romper suits. I feel like yelling at him, “I am fourteen years old, Uncle Eddie! I am bursting with womanhood, I wear a bra! Ok, it’s a bit on the loose side and does ride up round my neck if I run for the bus… but womanly potential is there, you bald coot!”” –Louise Rennison, Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging

SPOTLIGHT: J.K. Rowling
I know everyone says that she is their favorite author but who can help it? Her books are so imaginative and great that everyone just loves her and embraces her books! Her stories are exciting, well thought out and everything is coming together just how it should! She writes about every individual character so that the reader knows about how they feel and why.
“The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it ‘The Riddle House,” even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there. It stood on a hill overlooking the village, some of its windows boarded, tiles missing from its roof, and ivy spreading unchecked over its face. Once a fine-looking manor, and easily the largest and grandest building for miles around, the Riddle House was now damp, derelict, and unoccupied. –J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

SPOTLIGHT: Lemony Snicket
I have finally finished his series after years of waiting to find out what happened in his brilliant series of unfortunate events. You can tell just by reading his books that this man is intelligent, smart, and gifted in his writing. You hang off every word and he makes you care about the three main characters so much that you want to kill the bad guys just as bad as they do!
“I’m sorry to tell you that this book will use the expression “the belly of the beast” three times before it is over, not counting all of the times I have already used “the belly of the beast” in order to warn you of all the times “the belly of the beast” will appear. Three times over the course of this story, characters will be inside some terrible place with little chance of escaping safely, and for that reason I would put this book down and escape safely yourself, because this woeful story is so very dark and wretched and damp that the experience of reading it will make you feel as if you are in the bell of the beast, and that time doesn’t count either. – Lemony Snicket, The Carnivorous Carnival
Authors deserve so much respect. They take the time to fill endless supplies of paper with thoughts and ideas to entertain us all. I hope one day somebody will include me in a blog like this!

2 Comments:

  • At 2:58 PM, Blogger Starchild28 said…

    I agree, these are all really good authors. Especially Libba Bray, she is one of my all time favorites! I LOVE her books!

     
  • At 11:46 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    These authors that you mentioned, there story plots aren't predictable are they?

    Good luck on your story! You should send some of it to me so I can read it too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home