Growing Pains
I don’t know how many of you know but I just go back from my vacation to fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada! I’ve been going there every year for three years with my mom and my grandma. Something occurred to be upon leaving this time, and it hit me really hard!
We only stayed in Vegas for about one day. We drove down on Thursday, saw the sites and two shows on Friday, and left on Saturday. When we left a huge pain hit me in my heart. It felt as if I was being ripped away from Las Vegas and also from my childhood!
Growing up is a good thing, don’t get me wrong but I’m not looking forward to some aspects of it! More responsibility, more to worry about, less help from your parents, having and holding down a job, college, it’s all so much! Being young is just so much easier! It will be awesome to be older. People respect your thoughts and ideas more, you get to go places when you want to, all that fun stuff!
For some reason, this trip to Vegas was different. I defiantly look different than last year when I went. Plus, I was treated differently this time around! Men looked at me differently! And I wasn’t even putting myself out there. I was walking with my mom! When we were in a crowd, she MADE me hold her hand! Even then, evil old men were giving me weird looks! It was so shocking that when we got back to the hotel room, I broke down a little bit!
My mom tried to comfort me but the only thing she could manage to say is:
“You’re growing up, Emma! You can’t stay young forever!”
That did calm me down a bit and I was able to go to the shows without freaking out. But while we were driving away from the strip, I almost started to cry again! It was almost like I had an epiphany! It was only then when I realized, I’m not a little girl any more! I always say that when my mom treats me like a four year old but this is the first time that I actually felt it!
I thought back to the first time I went to Vegas. I was only 12 and it was so amazing there! The hotels were my favorite part! Seeing all of the splendor was amazing! Now being 14 and going back, the hotels are still amazing but they don’t seem as amazing as they used to be. I still love Vegas with all my heart but it’s not as great as I remember. Is this all just part of growing up? If it is, I’m not happy about it at all!
All in all, I’m excited to be older. But there are things I will miss about being a kid. There’s less help from adults and not as much time for playing around. I think though, if I hang on to just a little bit of my childhood and always have a great attitude about life, I will always be young at heart! (Wow, that was a corny ending!)
I don’t know how many of you know but I just go back from my vacation to fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada! I’ve been going there every year for three years with my mom and my grandma. Something occurred to be upon leaving this time, and it hit me really hard!
We only stayed in Vegas for about one day. We drove down on Thursday, saw the sites and two shows on Friday, and left on Saturday. When we left a huge pain hit me in my heart. It felt as if I was being ripped away from Las Vegas and also from my childhood!
Growing up is a good thing, don’t get me wrong but I’m not looking forward to some aspects of it! More responsibility, more to worry about, less help from your parents, having and holding down a job, college, it’s all so much! Being young is just so much easier! It will be awesome to be older. People respect your thoughts and ideas more, you get to go places when you want to, all that fun stuff!
For some reason, this trip to Vegas was different. I defiantly look different than last year when I went. Plus, I was treated differently this time around! Men looked at me differently! And I wasn’t even putting myself out there. I was walking with my mom! When we were in a crowd, she MADE me hold her hand! Even then, evil old men were giving me weird looks! It was so shocking that when we got back to the hotel room, I broke down a little bit!
My mom tried to comfort me but the only thing she could manage to say is:
“You’re growing up, Emma! You can’t stay young forever!”
That did calm me down a bit and I was able to go to the shows without freaking out. But while we were driving away from the strip, I almost started to cry again! It was almost like I had an epiphany! It was only then when I realized, I’m not a little girl any more! I always say that when my mom treats me like a four year old but this is the first time that I actually felt it!
I thought back to the first time I went to Vegas. I was only 12 and it was so amazing there! The hotels were my favorite part! Seeing all of the splendor was amazing! Now being 14 and going back, the hotels are still amazing but they don’t seem as amazing as they used to be. I still love Vegas with all my heart but it’s not as great as I remember. Is this all just part of growing up? If it is, I’m not happy about it at all!
All in all, I’m excited to be older. But there are things I will miss about being a kid. There’s less help from adults and not as much time for playing around. I think though, if I hang on to just a little bit of my childhood and always have a great attitude about life, I will always be young at heart! (Wow, that was a corny ending!)

3 Comments:
At 4:09 PM,
MRT said…
Great observations! Some parts of life lose their luster when you grow up. It's sort of like when you are a magician who knows how all the magic tricks are done; it's difficult to be surprised by them anymore...but you also find NEW things that continue to amaze and confound you. Maybe life isn't as mysterious and wonderful for adults as it is for kids, but you can't go wrong if you just try to BE THE AGE YOU ARE. You seem to doing fine.
(Interesting side note: I recently found an old picture from when my daughter was in a dance class when she was in kindergarten. In that class, there was a little girl with long hair who, while smaller than everyone else in the class, was always a better dancer. Whenever I see that picture, I wonder what that "little girl" is up to now that she's not so little any more. Now I know.)
At 8:58 PM,
Alina said…
When you're young, you wish to be older, when you're older, you wish you were younger. Strange how life works, C'est la vie! Mon Amie!
At 7:38 PM,
Londonchick2 said…
Are you talking about me Mr.T?!!1 WOW! I guess you never realize how small the world really is until your Honors English teacher figures out he knew you in kindergarten!
Post a Comment
<< Home